Australia Ball-Tampering scandal. What he does.. and his punishment.


The message came through loud and clear late yesterday from Cricket Australia: we will not tolerate this.

A one-year ban from domestic and international cricket for captain Steve Smith and David Warner, and nine months for Cameron Bancroft.


Recently in 2016

If you use the indiscretions of cricketers in recent years as precedent, Cricket Australia seems to have imposed penalties far greater than any offending cricketer has suffered in the past.

In 2016, footage emerged of Faf du Plessis using a mint to help shine the ball after South Africa's crushing win over Australia in Hobart.


The ICC charged him with ball tampering. Du Plessis maintained his innocence and even appealed, but the South African skipper had three demerit points on his record.

What he says....

“To all of my teammates, fans of cricket all over the world and to all Australians who are disappointed and angry ... I’m sorry,” Smith said.

“What happened in Cape Town has already been laid out by Cricket Australia.

“Tonight, I want to make clear that as captain of the Australia cricket team I take full responsibility.

“I made a serious error of judgment and I now understand the consequences. It was a failure of leadership, of my leadership.

“I’ll do everything I can to make up for my mistake and the damage it has caused.

“If any good can come from this, if it can be a lesson to others then I hope I can be a force for change.”
The fallen captain said he was “absolutely gutted”, and that he would regret what had happened “for the rest of my life”.

“I hope in time I can earn back respect and forgiveness,” he said.



“I’ve been so privileged and honoured to represent my country and captain the Australian cricket team.

“Cricket is the greatest game in the world, it’s been my life and I hope it can be again.

“I’m sorry and I’m absolutely devastated.”

The distraught Smith then took questions from the media contingent and struggled to contain his emotions.
“For me, I think my week has been around good people make mistakes and I’ve made a big mistake by allowing this to happen.

“It was a huge error of judgment on my behalf and I’m deeply sorry.

“I don’t blame anyone, I’m the captain of the Australian team. It’s on my watch and I take responsibility for the actions of what happened Saturday in Cape Town.:

The most crushing moment of the emotional press conference came after Smith was asked how this could impact the kids who look up to him.

With his father, Peter, standing behind with his hand on his son’s shoulder, Smith broke down when he answered and spoke about his mum and dad.

“I love the game of cricket and entertaining kids. I love kids wanting to play the great game of cricket that I love,” Smith said.

“Any time you think about making a questionable decision, think about who you’re affecting, you’re affecting your parents and to see the way my old man and my mum ... it hurts.

“I just want to say I’m sorry for the pain that I guess I’ve brought to Australia and the fans and the public. It’s devastating and I’m truly sorry.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog